In April, the History Department presented a number of excellence awards to Geneseo students. We congratulate the following award recipients as well as our May 2013 graduates.
Scholarships and Awards
- Dr. Katherine J. Beck Prize for Outstanding Senior History Major: Co-Awarded to Justin Shapiro and Cory Young
- Senior Award for Academic Achievement: Lila Chambers
- Senior Award for Community Involvement: Kala Destefano
- Dr. William E. Derby Tribute Endowed Scholarship: Libby White
- Dr. Roland R. DeMarco ‘30 Memorial Annual Scholarship: Todd Christensen
- Jeremy Byrnes Memorial Annual Scholarship: Liz Dierenfield
- Bonnie C. Henzel Memorial Endowed Scholarship: Split between Cindy Trieu and Brittany Lauda
- William H. Cook/Walter Herzman Memorial Annual Scholarship: Split between Paul Kennedy and Clare Flynn
- James K. Somerville Sophomore History Endowed Scholarship: Split between Casey Berg and Sarah Nafis
- Valentin Rabe Award for Best 300-Level Research Paper: Split between Sarah Ahearn, "Joseph Goebbels and the Rise of the Master of Propaganda" and Alec Michael Tare, "'Knocking off their Irons as Fast as They Could': Slave Ship Rebellions and the Secret Spirit of the Middle Passage"
- William E. Derby Prize for the Best HIST 221 Research Paper: Split between Adam Camiolo, "The Lion of Munster: Bishop van Galen Against the Nazis" and Jacob McNabb, "The Cultural Contributions and Benefits of the American Game in Rural America"
- Jennifer Wachunas Paper Prize in Women’s History: Stephanie Tyree, "Quasi-war: Gender-based Violence Against Civilians During Times of War"
- For Best Senior Capstone Paper: Daniel Leunig, "Hiroshima's Americans: Understanding Japanese-American A-Bomb Survivors' Interpretation of the Bomb and Their Campaign for Medical Aid, 1945-2012"